Medium-size infrastructure with Terraform
This example contains code as an example of structuring Terraform configurations for a medium-size infrastructure which uses:
- 2 AWS accounts
- 2 separate environments (
stagewhich share nothing). Each environment lives in a separate AWS account
- Each environment uses a different version of the off-the-shelf infrastructure module (
alb) sourced from Terraform Registry
- Each environment uses the same version of an internal module
modules/networksince it is sourced from a local directory.
- Perfect for projects where infrastructure is logically separated (separate AWS accounts)
- Good when there is no is need to modify resources shared between AWS accounts (one environment = one AWS account = one state file)
- Good when there is no need in the orchestration of changes between the environments
- Good when infrastructure resources are different per environment on purpose and can't be generalized (eg, some resources are absent in one environment or in some regions)
As the project grows, it will be harder to keep these environments up-to-date with each other. Consider using infrastructure modules (off-the-shelf or internal) for repeatable tasks.